Re: Regulatory intervention (Redux: Who is a Tier 1?)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Oct 07 07:49:59 2005

Erik Haagsman wrote:
On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 14:51 -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Arguably a very good thing.  IXs shouldn't be in the "enforcement"
business.  That's for governments.
Exactly the reason I don't want governments anywhere near an IX. Every
network connected to an IX should be allowed to enforce it's own
internal policies when connecting with other networks *without* a
governmental body trying to enforce certain rules and regulations.
Networks should not be in the enforcement business.  They have no guns.

IXs should not be in the enforcement business.  They have no guns.

Even those IXs with MPLA policy have to rely on law and courts for
enforcement -- that is, those with guns.

I repeat my initial assertion, to wit:
>> This partitioning is exactly what we predicted in many meetings when
>> discussi[ng] the terms of the contracts.
>>
>> Markets are inefficient for infrastructure and tend toward monopoly.

When the "internal policies" -- which in this case are not technical,
but rather commercial advantage -- are against public policy, that is
the realm of governments.

One
network only peers with a select few, the other only on basis of
bandwidth profile and some with as many peers as possible. Without one
telling the other what to do or someone sitting behind a desk trying to
come up with a Grand Unified Peering Policy that everyone should adhere
to. Fine by me.

I'm afraid your head-in-the-sand approach doesn't appear to be working
well at this time. Major network partition, affecting thousands of
networks and tens (or hundreds) of thousands of actual people, 48 hours
and counting.

Moreover, I thought it might be worthwhile to check what you might have posted previously, and found that you started posting on NANOG in 2004,
during another L(3) partition. Methinks thou doeth protest too much.

I'm not entirely sure that you are a shill for L(3), but please explain
your personal interest? Especially as a Northern European posting on a
North American operator's list?

--
William Allen Simpson
Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32