Re: Regulatory intervention (Redux: Who is a Tier 1?)

  • From: Erik Haagsman
  • Date: Fri Oct 07 07:13:15 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:44 -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Erik Haagsman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:56 -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> >>This partitioning is exactly what we predicted in many meetings when
> >>discussion the terms of the contracts.
> >>
> >>Markets are inefficient for infrastructure and tend toward monopoly.
> >

> > How does replacing non-profit organisations (which most public IX'es
> > are) with government bodies and governmental legislation improve
> > anything...?
> >
> Government _is_ a non-profit organization, with generally broader
> representation.
>
> How does replacing a representative government with a smaller feudal
> organization improve anything?

The current status quo has IX's in the hands of private but open
organisations, run by it's members. Replacing govermental organisations
by now is purely hypothetical, it's already happened and in most
countries outside the US there never were government controlled IX's for
IMO very good reasons, with member's freedom to formulate their own
policies as number one.

> >>Idiot laissez-faire pseudo-libertarians forget that all markets require
> >>regulation and politics.
> >

> > But why government regulated instead of IX member regulated...?
> >
> Because as much as it's best not to rely on thugs with guns, I really
> don't want the thugs with guns to be private armies.

Ah yes, we want public armies with guns to rely on, just like we rely on
them at the moment regulating software patents, ISP and telco data
tapping, all those nifty little ideas that make our lives so much
better.

--
---
Erik Haagsman