Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Fri Oct 07 01:30:18 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 1:17 AM, Silver Tiger wrote:

Provider A has host/service/user traffic that we will call "Blue Bricks"
that need to be moved outside their network.
Provider B has host/service/user traffic that we will call "Red Bricks" that
need to be moved outside their network..

Both providers decide to meet at the corner and exchange 1 brick each on a
regular basis

let's say for 1000 cycles both providers meet and exchange blocks
successfully.

for the next 200 cycles Provider A brings his expected "blue brick" to the
corner, yet provider B brings two "red bricks".
While that was not expected .. it is acceptable in the short term.

then as time goes by Provider B begins to bring additional blocks, yet seems
not to notice the standard 1 block that provider A is bringing.

While fairly simple, this model explains that the disproportion of "blocks",
or traffic as it were, could be a cause of distress.
It does not.

You have forgotten that provider A's customers are asking to get those blue bricks. Is he supposed to stop providing this customers the desired bricks just 'cause he doesn't have enough bricks to get Provider B?

You also forgot that Providers A & B aren't meeting on a street corner. They're meeting on opposite ends of the continent, or even the planet. Provider A might be carrying those blue bricks a LOT further than Provider B is. Now we have a problem 'cause weight times distance equals backache.

You also forgot that Providers A & B have to pay cab fare to get to those geographically dispersed corners. One might have to take the cab a lot longer than the other, incurring more time & money.

You also forgot ... well, about 14 other things.

--
TTFN,
patrick