Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Thu Oct 06 20:35:50 2005

* [email protected] (Deepak Jain) [Fri 07 Oct 2005, 02:29 CEST]:
I think Cogent's offer of providing free transit to all single homed Level3 customers is particularly clever and being underpublicized. I wouldn't be surprised if Cogent is in more buildings than Level3 with a high degree of overlap with the entire Level3 lit network. That could be a very nasty "competitor" to force into your customers awareness by your own action (or inaction) -- especially if your customer is single homed to you and realizes now that isn't enough of the "Internet" for them.
I guess a significant part of the single-homed networks behind Level(3) would be in PA space owned by them, and thus will find the initial step towards multihoming very hard to take (renumbering into PI or their own PA space).

-- Niels.

--
"Calling religion a drug is an insult to drugs everywhere. Religion is more like the placebo of the masses."
-- MeFi user boaz