Re: Regulatory intervention (Redux: Who is a Tier 1?)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Thu Oct 06 14:52:35 2005

Niels Bakker wrote:

* [email protected] (William Allen Simpson) [Thu 06 Oct 2005, 19:10 CEST]:

Following up on my own post, according to
  http://www.ams-ix.net/connected/
Useful page, isn't it?

I wish that all IXs had one.

Cogent, Open
Level(3), Not public
We Dare B.V., Open

So, what did your member organization do to resolve this partition. Cut off Level(3)? Sue them?

That particular member organisation has a policy of not interfering with its members' peering policies. It expects its members to send packets only to people who explicitly asked for it over the shared infrastructure (via announcements of prefixes via BGP), and to pay their bills on time.

Arguably a very good thing.  IXs shouldn't be in the "enforcement"
business.  That's for governments.

(As you will remember, I was refuting his generalization that "private"
organizations are somehow preferable to "public" organizations.  It has
always been my preference to argue with specifics in hand.)

--
William Allen Simpson