RE: VoIP outage (was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Oct 06 07:12:11 2005

> 1000 users, 15 hours, isn't all that much when you think about it - At
some
> point in the near future, an split such as this is almost assured
ofhaving FCC
> attention due to the consequential consumer & business impact.

If I understand the way existing VoIP service work,
this depeering situation means that VoIP customers,
trying to call from one network to another, will not
be able to connect because the VoIP provider does
not relay voice packets. So the VoIP provider will
see that both the calling and called party are on
the net, however the flow of voice packets will fail.

Has anyone asked Vonage and others what they think
of this? It is almost certain to be affecting some
of their customers.

--Michael Dillon