Fw: Nuclear survivability (was: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Oct 06 06:54:13 2005

> While I realize that the "nuke survivable" thing is probably an old
> wives tale, it seems ridiculous that "the Internet" can't adjust by
> routing any packets that used to go directly from Cogent to Level 3
> though some 3rd (and) 4th (and) 5th set of providers that are connected
> in some fashion to both...

It's not a myth. If the Internet were running RIP instead of BGP
that is likely what would happen. Of course, there are a few downsides
to running RIP on the open Internet as well...

Today's Internet is a few generations beyond what Paul Baran
originally conceived and the policy and politics of
business does tend to gum up the works a bit now that
there is no serious threat of global nuclear war.

--Michael Dillon