RE: Peering vs SFI (was Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering)

  • From: Sean Butler
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 18:20:39 2005

> >  "There can only be *one* !"  - WorldCom chant,  Circa 1995.
> >
> > WorldCom didn't know what IP SFI was in 95. Perhaps you
> mean UUNET/MFS?
>

>   Or, perhaps I mean Alternet, eh  ?
>
>   - A Rose by any other name....

Or if you change "1995" above to "1997," which was when UUNET 1st announced
the end of "free of charge" interconnections, then WorldCom would be
correct, as they had just recently purchased UUNET.

At least that's the date I have in the following paper I wrote a while back:

http://www.2sparrows.org/Sean/rit/final%20thesis.pdf

It's fairly outdated now but may be a good read for those that haven't been
around that long and seem to be a bit confused on peering vs. transit and
other such things.  At least the 1st 1/2 of it before it ventures off into
telco realms.

/Sean