Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 16:05:33 2005

On Wed Oct 05, 2005 at 10:43:51AM -0700, Jeff Shultz wrote:
> Level 3 and Cogent can't be operating in a vacuums - if we can get to
> Kevin Bacon in 6 degrees, Level 3 and Cogent should be able to get to
> each other in under 30 hops through other providers.
>
> And why isn't this apparently happening automatically? Pardon the
> density of my brain matter here, but I thought that was what BGP was all
> about?

Yes, it could have - I'm led to believe that one of the parties does purchase
transit. However, moving all that traffic over transit rather than peering
would cost them a significant amount of money - and as they're running their
transit service at extremely low cost, they probably would find it hard to
fund the use of transit to reach the other party.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *