Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 15:51:44 2005

At 02:47 PM 05/10/2005, Douglas Dever wrote:

> fact remains that Cogent is not providing the service I'm paying them
> for and they need to get it fixed.

Really?  As you already pointed out, your packets are reaching their
destination.  So, they don't "need" to get anything "fixed."
I think what people are upset about is that you now have less redundancy now if you are a cogent transit customer. If I tell my customers, "I have 3 full transit links", I now have to put an * there. If my 2 non cogent links go down, I dont have a full visibility of the Internet. I see everything, except Level3. It becomes more acute if you have just 2 transit links-- Cogent and one other. What if your other provider has a lossy path to Level 3 ? You cant work around it by preferencing 174 3356

---Mike