Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 14:43:11 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Matthew Crocker wrote:

> > So perhaps the question you should be asking is:  Why didn't routes for
> > these networks fall over to the other upstream peers which *are* capable of
> > moving the packets?  Surely MCI, AT&T, Sprint, and others would carry the
> > packets to the right place.  I can see the paths right here....
>
> They did, and I'm not down.  I see Level 3 via Sprint and GNAPs/CENT just
> fine.

No, I mean:  Why didn't *your upstream's* routes fall back to *their* other
peers, who should be perfectly capable of transiting those packets?

The thinly veiled implication there is that "full mesh" is not a long term
effective way to run the backbone level transit, because dropping one peer
without an alternate path means that we get broken transit.  Yum.

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>