Re: Cogent/Level 3 depeering

  • From: Matthew Crocker
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 13:08:06 2005

This is what I just got from Cogent support. I'm still waiting on the billing dispute ticket. I've already told our payables department to not pay any Cogent invoices, this should get fun. Hell, I wish Verio never sold me to Cogent in the first place, it is all their fault :/

<quote>
Hello,

As of 5:30 am EDT, October 5th, Level(3) terminated peering with Cogent without cause (as permitted under its peering agreement with Cogent) even though both Cogent and Level(3) remained in full compliance with the previously existing interconnection agreement. Cogent has left the peering circuits open in the hope that Level(3) will change its mind and allow traffic to be exchanged between our networks. We are extending a special offering to single homed Level 3 customers.

Cogent will offer any Level 3 customer, who is single homed to the Level 3 network on the date of this notice, one year of full Internet transit free of charge at the same bandwidth currently being supplied by Level 3. Cogent will provide this connectivity in over 1,000 locations throughout North America and Europe.

For status updates and further information on the special offering -- please see our status page at http://status.cogentco.com
</quote>

-Matt