Re: TLD anycast clouds?

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Oct 05 02:55:54 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Steve Gibbard wrote:

I'm attempting to come up with a list of all the top level domain DNS servers
How are you attempting to do it?

One of the problems is that you need to check from multiple locations around the world because dns server would appear to be different depending on where you look at it from. When you look at this in case of ccTLD
you not only need to appear in different locations around the world, but it would probably be good to check from multiple locations in that particular country. This makes administratively difficult to arrange
to do proper measurement for all the ccTLDs.

that are anycasted. I already know about the anycast clouds run by PCH, Neustar, Verisign, DENIC, and UltraDNS, and .mx appears from traceroutes to be anycasted as well.
I'm pretty sure ISC runs anycasted dns servers too and they run .museum TLD and serve as secondary for one or two other TLDs.

BTW - anyone can guess why lookup for SIG RR on .museum results in different response then for some other non-existant RR like NAPTR?

-bash-3.00$ dig museum sig
; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;museum. IN SIG
;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 216.151.192.1#53(216.151.192.1)

-bash-3.00$ dig museum naptr
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;museum. IN NAPTR
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
museum. 3236 IN SOA nic.museum. hostmaster.nic.museum. 2005092312 28800 7200 1209600 3600

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks