Overview: (What If?) ccTLD Delegation Question

  • From: Joe Johnson
  • Date: Mon Oct 03 18:14:19 2005

So, basically, following the instructions at http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-establishment-procedures-19mar03.htm, I need to be sure I legally acquire the island from a nation for the express purpose of running my own country (the sales agreement says I am no longer part of them).  After I establish my national government (I held an impromptu straw-poll in the office, and we chose "Joetopia" as the name of my island nation), I need to petition the UN to be recognized as a nation and be listed in their report.  After that, I automatically get a 2-letter nation code and can petition ICANN for a ccTLD of my 2-letter code.  I can then choose to run .jt (or whatever my ccTLD ends up being) from any place I desire.

Well, thanks for all the help everyone.  Hopefully it broke the day's monotony for some of you.  Now I just need to sit back and wait for those lotto winnings to roll in (ha!).

Joe Johnson
[email protected]

P.S.: Don't worry, I'll be sure to have plenty of redundancy in my DNS (physically separate NS's, multiple DNS servers, power, etc.)  and I won't brook no spammers.  Not from my .jt ccTLD!