Why is it necessary to "tag" on-topic news cites?

  • From: jc dill
  • Date: Mon Sep 26 03:24:35 2005

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

I'm aware of quite a few people who have encouraged said poster to tag his off-topic posts for easy filtering, myself included.
A brief cite and quote from a news article discussing the status of major networks (BellSouth Corp., SBC Communications, Cingular Wireless) in North America following a huge storm that affected several states is clearly on-topic for the North American Network Operators Group discussion list.

Ideally this material belongs in a blog with a comments section,
He has a blog. He posts *many* more links to his blog each day than he posts to nanog. Since creating his blog, the links he posts to nanog are, for the most part, on-topic for nanog. Certainly the post that triggered this discussion was on-topic for nanog.

or in a seperate mailing list. Failing that, it needs to be tagged for easy filtering by those who aren't interested.
I'm confused. Can you explain why the ON-TOPIC links he posts somehow "need to be tagged"?

Adding a subject tag also allows readers to match on the off-topic chatter spawned by these posts, not just the original post.
Why is this any different from the off-topic chatter spawned from other posts?

jc