Re: Don't Cache that check

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Sep 21 15:55:25 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:44:22 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:

> I wonder what this will do for you ISP guys out there that use Cache
> servers. Technically if the suit holds, your company too would be
> violating laws.

No.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000512----000-.html

17 USC 512(b)(1) specifically says:

(1)  Limitation on liability.-- A service provider shall not be liable for
monetary relief, or, except as provided in subsection (j), for injunctive or
other equitable relief, for infringement of copyright by reason of the
intermediate and temporary storage of material on a system or network
controlled or operated by or for the service provider in a case in which--

  (A) the material is made available online by a person other than the service
  provider;

  (B) the material is transmitted from the person described in subparagraph (A)
  through the system or network to a person other than the person described in
  subparagraph (A) at the direction of that other person; and

  (C) the storage is carried out through an automatic technical process for the
  purpose of making the material available to users of the system or network who,
  after the material is transmitted as described in subparagraph (B), request
  access to the material from the person described in subparagraph (A),