Don't Cache that check

  • From: J. Oquendo
  • Date: Wed Sep 21 14:45:46 2005

Might or might not be offtopic:

1. Plaintiffs are published authors and The Authors Guild, the nation's
largest organization of book authors, which has as its primary purpose to
advocate for and support the copyright and contractual interests of
published writers. The authors' works are contained in certain public and
university libraries, and have not been licensed for commercial use.

2. Defendant Google Inc. (.Google.) owns and operates a major Internet
search engine that, among other things, provides access to commercial and
other sites on the Internet. Google has contracted with several public and
university libraries to create digital "archives" of the libraries'
collections of books, including that of the University of Michigan
library. As part of the consideration for creating digital copies of these
collections, the agreement entitles Google to reproduce and retain for its
own commercial use a digital copy of the libraries' archives.

http://wendy.seltzer.org/media/AuthorsGuild-v-Google.pdf

I wonder what this will do for you ISP guys out there that use Cache
servers. Technically if the suit holds, your company too would be
violating laws. Which makes me wonder... If I listened to say a streaming
audio clip of an unreleased album... That album goes to my computer's
cache, can I be sued if I turn around and sell my cache. ;)

J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x97B43D89
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x97B43D89

"Just one more time for the sake of sanity tell me why
 explain the gravity that drove you to this..." Assemblage