Re: IPv6 traffic numbers

  • From: Kenjiro Cho
  • Date: Wed Sep 21 01:51:56 2005

Simon Leinen wrote:
> Marshall Eubanks writes, in response to Jordi's "8% IPv6" anecdote:
> > These estimates seem way high and need support. Here is a counter-example.
>
> While I'm also skeptical about the representativeness of Jordi's
> estimates, this is a bad counterexample (see below about why):

Sorry for the late response, but I got some numbers in Japan.

(1) httpd access logs of www.kame.net

In 24-hour access logs on September 13, there are 148 unique IPv6
addresses within 1,849 unique IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
So, about 8.0% is IPv6.
The breakdown of IPv6 address blocks:
	2001::/16	127
	2002::/16	  9
	2400:2000::/19	  1
	3ffe::/16	 11

If we remove 528 addresses from Yahoo! Slurp and Googlebot, the IPv6
ratio becomes 11.2%.

Obviously, this site is biased for IPv6 users but Jordi's number isn't
far off.

(2) traffic growth at an experimental IPv6-only IX in Tokyo

We have updated the traffic graph of NSPIXP6 at
http://www.wide.ad.jp/nspixp6/traffic.html

The traffic volume of IPv6 is still about 1/1000 of IPv4.
The IPv6 growth rate has slowed down a bit for the last 12 months.

-Kenjiro