Re: Google seeks GoogleNet bids?

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Tue Sep 20 08:37:22 2005

It may have something to do with the possibility that
GoogleNet will need an infrastructure to tie together
it's WiFi offering:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/20/AR2005092000348.html

- ferg

-- [email protected] wrote:

> I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't seem mention of it
> here before now, but Om Malik points out in his blog that
> Google is reviewing bids for it's natioal DWDM network:
>
>  http://gigaom.com/2005/09/19/google-asks-for-googlenet-bids/

There seems to be a trend whereby anyone who can aggregate
sufficient traffic to warrant their own IP network is doing
so and offloading the so-called public Internet. In the case
of Google it is reminiscent of the way the television networks
aggregated broadcast content way back in the 60's.

Ten years ago, the idea that there could be a public Internet
which anyone could use for any purpose was rather new. Is this
concept now on the decline?

--Michael Dillon

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson