Re: router worms and International Infrastructure

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Mon Sep 19 17:10:25 2005

* Gadi Evron:

> I would really like to hear some thoughts from the NANOG community on
> threats such as the one described above. Let us not get into an argument
> about 0-days and consider how many routers are actually patched the
> first... day.. week, month? after a vulnerability is released.

The bad guys obviously aren't interested in taking down the Internet.
I wouldn't worry too much. 8-)

> I don't want the above to sound as FUD. My point is not to yell "death
> of the Internet" but rather to get some people moving on what I believe
> to be a threat, and considering it on a broader scale is LONG over-due.

I would ask some people who have experienced meltdowns on large-scale
networks, due to Slammer, Blaster or something else.  Basically, what
do you do when you don't have management access to your network gear
anymore, and stuff like that.

To some extent, what you fear has already happened, and we could learn
from that.