Re: image stream routers

  • From: Paul G
  • Date: Sat Sep 17 17:20:49 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "tony sarendal" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: image stream routers

--- snip ---

>>It sounds to me like a software based machine can
>> be plenty fast with good code under the hood.

>In my experience a datacenter pumping out 1Gbps is usually doing
>200-250kpps in that direction. Considering this a box capable of
>around 1Mpps is "plenty fast".

... until you get an inbound ddos over that shiny gige at 1.44 Mpps. in
today's world, planning for normal circumstances is woefully insufficient,
you have to spec based on worst case numbers because you're almost
guaranteed they will hit your network upside the head in the future.

-p

---
paul galynin