Re: image stream routers

  • From: tony sarendal
  • Date: Sat Sep 17 13:39:13 2005

On 17/09/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > A collegue smartbits tested a 1GHz pc, with a full feed and 250k
> > simoultaneons flows it managed around 250kpps. This also with freebsd
> > and device polling. It sounds to me like a software based machine can
> > be plenty fast with good code under the hood.
>
> Sorry, in today's world of high-end routers 250kpps doesn't qualify as
> "plenty fast". Can your box do linerate Gigabit Ethernet with minimum
> size packets, on several ports simultaneously?

I didn't say that a 250kpps box was a high-end box.
One reliable Mpps is not high-end either, but it can carry quite a lot
of Mbps. What is C or M price for a reliable full feed Mpps ?

"My" high-end boxes never manage to impress me with their pps
capability before I'm disapointed in their reliability.

/Tony

--
Tony Sarendal - [email protected]
IP/Unix