The return of the wildcard domain...

  • From: Jim McBurnett
  • Date: Wed Sep 14 22:35:35 2005

All,

I saw this evening that CentralNic had added *.uk.com to point to
itself.

I thought this was of operational interest considering the effect
Verisign sitefinder had.
(Sorry Martin, no offence intended)

So I guess the question to us all is: how will this affect our networks
as a whole?
Or will it at all?   Or is it already?

I tried this with the almost funny domain www.idunno.uk.com
It does a redirect to http://www.uk.com/results/idunno?src=idunno
And came back with a "The domain name "idunno.uk.com" is available for
registration. Would you like to buy it"

So will ICANN act on this?
CentralNIC also runs the uk.com, us.com, eu.com and de.com domains.

For a "news" reference:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/14/centralnic_wildcard/

Anyway, I thought I would start a new topic..
Hopefully this does not add too much to the overall S:N......

Later,

Jim McBurnett