Re: CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Wed Sep 14 18:12:12 2005

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Aditya writes:
>

>>The short-term solution seems to be using the APC PNET1s/Tripplite
>>DNET1/etc. in each unit and tying them to the water main as an
>>inexpensive, immediate step while funds are allocated for conduit,
>>labor etc..
>>

>If I recall correctly, the National Electrical Code was change about a
>dozen years ago to bar grounding to water pipe unless it's within about
>6' of where the pipe enters the house.
>
>		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

The change was in the 1993 NEC and restricts using water pipe as a
ground to being within 5 feet of the point of entrance to the building.
There is an additional requirement that the water pipe must be metallic
and have a minimum of 10' buried in the ground.   This can be hard to
verify on existing installations due to the common use of plastic water
pipe by utilities in recent years.  The 5' from the point of entrance is
also due to the common use of plastic water pipe in buildings.

--
Mark Radabaugh

Amplex
[email protected]