Re: commonly blocked ISP ports

  • From: brett watson
  • Date: Wed Sep 14 17:23:25 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 15:41, Luke Parrish wrote:

Not quite looking for tips to manage my network and ACL's or if should or
should not be blocking, more looking for actual ports that other ISP's are
blocking and why.
seems to me this is the wrong question... a default security "posture" (network or system, isp or enterprise or any type of entity) should be: "if it's not explicitly allowed, it's denied."

don't look for specific ports to block. lock down everything, both *egress* (arguably as important as ingress, and typically completely ignored) and ingress, and start opening only specific ports that are absolutely necessary. yes, it's a lot more work to do this but it's a lot safer.

many worm/trojan infections happen because egress is completely open, and "permit tcp any any established" is the first line in the ingress acl.

-b