Re: Computer systems blamed for feeble hurricane response?

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Wed Sep 14 09:11:45 2005

At 07:28 AM 14/09/2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
On 9/14/05, Mike Tancsa <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Port 587?
> Not everyone implements that. You would make a large part of the
> internet unreachable via email
> vinyl# telnet mx2.mail.yahoo.com 587
> Trying 67.28.114.36...
> telnet: connect to address 67.28.114.36: Connection refused
> Trying 4.79.181.13...

Wrong host.  587 / msa is for outbound email
Sorry, my point was that you could not just assume the sending host was a mail server by connecting back to the host on the submission port as it might not be listening on that port or that because the host sending is not in the MX list, that its not a mail server.

---Mike