Re: LA power outage?

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Tue Sep 13 21:30:38 2005

It's also interesting to note that, at least by some estimates,
the brief power outage in L.A. yesterday took down more networks
than Hurrucane Katrina:

 http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170702966

Of course, So. California is pretty "network-dense", but what does
that say about the level of seriousness that network operators place
on their "uptime"?

- ferg

-- Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote:

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:21:59 -0000, "Reeves, Rob" said:
>
>>We've been told by our field tech in LA that One Wilshire had lost power
>>for a bit, but it is now restored.  I don't know the duration of the
>>outage, but our equipment there is on DC and did not go down.
>

> So - who in LA is going to be telling Santa they want a new data-center sized
> diesel UPS genset for Christmas? ;)

More like, "which manager is telling Santa they want a new, clue-imbued
employee for Christmas?"

I'm not too close to the story and I don't live in Los Angeles (I live and
work 55-65 miles northeast of downtown), but it seems to me that the problem
could have been avoided with a little more caution on the part of the person
who cut the wires.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek   888-480-4638   PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 [email protected] or [email protected]