Re: CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Tue Sep 13 21:06:15 2005

R.P. Aditya wrote:

>I have a bunch of cat5 buried about 1 ft below the surface connecting multiple
>buildings on a campus (short runs) and lightning strikes nearby have caused
>surges along one or more of the cables and burnt out switch ports. I would
>like to protect the switch ports -- there seem to be lots of products on the
>market.
>
>Anyone have recommendations (tested/practical is best :-)?
>
>The APC Protectnet PNET1 and PRM24 seem quite nice and not too expensive --
>if they work....pros? cons?
>
>Thanks,
>Adi

I'll go with the fiber recommendation but that's not what you asked :-)

We use quite a few of the Motorola 300SS surge suppressors.  They are
made for use with Motorola's fixed wireless Internet platform and go on
the Ethernet cable before it enters the building.

They do a good job of protecting the ports on near misses.  Direct
strikes and they are toast along with anything attached to them - but
that's just the way it goes :-)

http://www.tessco.com/products/headerProductSearch.do?searchType=1&searchText=300ss&searchField=1

--
Mark Radabaugh