RE: CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Tue Sep 13 17:39:33 2005

> Anyone have recommendations (tested/practical is best :-)?
>
> The APC Protectnet PNET1 and PRM24 seem quite nice and not
> too expensive --
> if they work....pros? cons?

It sounds like you're either out of NEC, or, you are grounding them
to waterpipe. I believe NEC calls for grounding via earth. You
could strike some rod into the ground several feet deep, attach
to the pipe with conductive screw+locknut+washer, and a proper gauge
for distance cable. Theoretically, that should solve your problem.

What did you electricians say?

-M<