RE: Computer systems blamed for feeble hurricane response?

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Tue Sep 13 14:14:19 2005

> http://www.fema.gov/staff/extended.jsp
>
> Lists an "IT Services Division" that has ~250 possible points of
> contact.
>
> Surely one of them has some clue... :-/  I think this sort of
> problem
> shows the endemic disease currently in place at FEMA.  It's not just
> an "IT gaffe" or firewall mistake.  It's a failure much more
> serious,
> sadly.

ObOp: Email is NOT a reliable form of communication.

      DHS shouldn't start to think so either. NANOG
      shouldn't worry about if someones email is working
      as a byproduct, but sure worry if the store and forward
      function of an ISP is. '

	Anything below that is the individual SP's problem, IMO.
      Perhaps there are reasons some corporate or volunteer
      mail service is not working i.e. blocked, disallowed on port,
      etc.

ObNotOp:

Anyone who needs to contact FEMA, already knows how. If they
are using a web page address, they probably shouldn't be contacting
FEMA directly, but working through their own government hierarchy.