Re: Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

  • From: Igor Gashinsky
  • Date: Mon Sep 12 18:25:13 2005

:: > Well, I have no evidence of them doing anything with IPv6 anyway, so I
:: > don't know if this makes a difference.
::
:: I have a very strong feeling that part of the lack of content providers on
:: IPv6 is due to the lack of multihoming.
::
:: Whilst this thread is open... perhaps someone can explain to me how shim6 is
:: as good as multihoming in the case of redundancy when one of the links is
:: down at the time of the initial request, so before any shim-layer negotiation
:: happens.
::
:: I must be missing something, but there's a good chance that the requester is
:: going to have to wait for a timeout on their SYN packets before failing over
:: to another address to try.   Or is the requester supposed to send SYNs to all
:: addresses for a hostname and race them off?

Or, on top of that, how traffic engineering can be performed with shim6..

And people wonder why more "content" isn't available for v6. Maybe when
content providers start asking for a /32 *per datacenter* (ie a /26 or so
of initial allocation) those issues might get solved... then again,
probably not.

-igor
(firmly in the shim6 does not adress *most* of the issues camp)