DHS Cyber Security Investment Study

  • From: Rowe, Brent
  • Date: Mon Sep 12 13:41:13 2005

NANOG members,

I am writing to ask for your participation in a study which I am working
on for the Department of Homeland Security on IT security investment
decisions.  My intension is not to upset anyone with an unwanted
solicitation, so if you are uninterested in this topic, please disregard
the remainder of this email.

------------------

My company, RTI, has been contracted by the the Department of Homeland
Security to analyze how organizations make investment decisions related
to IT security.  As part of this project, we are gathering information
from organizations in seven different sectors, one of which is Internet
Service Providers.

I am interested in talking with any individuals representing ISPs about
their organizations' IT security decision making practices.  Let me be
clear that I are not interested in learning the makeup of your IT
infrastructure, the IT policies and procedures your organization
employs, the number of breaches you have each year, or any other
sensitive information related to your organization's IT security.
Instead, I am interested in discussing the information you use to decide
how much to spend on various IT security-related activities and what
information you are collecting (and using) from your IT system
operations.

If you are interested in participating in this study and/or have
questions related to how we plan to use the data we collect, the purpose
of the study, or the intended use of the study results, please contact
me at [email protected] or 919-485-2626.

Thank you any assistance you can provide.

Regards,
Brent

Brent Rowe
Research Economist