Re: Katrina Network Damage Report

  • From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
  • Date: Mon Sep 12 00:11:29 2005

While I agree that all kind of consumer devices will be most probably the
first application of IPv6 at every home, office, etc., the BIG usage will
come from sensors of all kinds. Probably will count by thousands at every
place.

I'm sure that we will never fill in the 64 bits address space of most of the
subnets, but what it seems a waste of bits is actually a feature for
autoconfiguration, cryptography and other usages still to come. And yes, we
need easy autoconfiguration for so many IP-gadgets.

Autoconfiguration also means that their are not numbered one after the other

And yes, having more addresses means also that every device can turn on
end-to-end security, which is already an improvement versus today Internet
with IPv4+NAT.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Suresh Ramasubramanian <[email protected]>
> Responder a: <[email protected]>
> Fecha: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:05:51 +0530
> Para: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> CC: Joel Jaeggli <[email protected]>, Alan Spicer
> <[email protected]>, Steve Gibbard <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
> Asunto: Re: Katrina Network Damage Report
>

> On 12/09/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A /48 is 80 bits of address.  1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 addresses.
>> Even at a million packets/second (which even Joe Sixpack will quite likely
>> notice until such time as the Linksys router you get at Walmart does 1M pps),
>> that's still 38,334,786,263 years of scanning.  Of course, that's about
>> 20 billion years after the Sun runs out of hydrogen and goes red giant and
>> incinerates the planet....
>>
>> Now how big a pile of toasters were you planning to use?
>
> I'm not planning to use any.  I was just assuming that people who
> promote v6 as the best thing since sliced bread, and needed because v4
> space is really really scarce now, are going to actually find enough
> toasters, printers, phones, computers or whatever to fill all those
> /48s that are getting allocated.
>
> And of course, as I said, small end sites are getting allotted /48s
> through tunnelbrokers and such
>
> So the number of hosts in there is going to be highly limited and all
> that /48 worth of IPs are going to wind up bound to the same host, or
> the same LAN .. with IPs that are much closer to each other.
>
> Once you find a host on a /48 jump to the next one I guess.  Or make
> some guess on what IP addressing scheme is being followed and which
> subnets of that /48 are being used [assuming that an end site like a
> cellphone carrier decides to give v6 IPs to all its phone users] ...
> scan from within the network.
>
> Unless you say that v6 space is ever going to be as densely populated
> as v4 where each IP is often a different host, possibly several miles
> apart rather than in the next rack.
>
> --
> Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com