Re: Katrina Network Damage Report

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Sun Sep 11 15:10:21 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

On 9/11/05, Alan Spicer <[email protected]> wrote:
 love IPv6 more than you guys would ever give to a sole. Shoot I could run a

big ISP on a single 48. God bless America.

Instead, you have small end sites getting /48s from tunnel providers,
and then running maybe two or three hosts on those.

And seriously, does the main assumption of v6, that every single
toaster out there is going to become a v6 host, really not scare
anyone?
It doesn't scare us... ever try nmaping a /48?

Instead of toasters, though which I think of as hyperbole, possibly because my toster is ~40 years old, and still works fine thanks, think digital set-top boxes and tv's that need bi-directional communication to unwrap drm, That's order of a billion or so devices in the US over the next 10 years.

 Giving IP connectivity to stuff that was just not designed
from a security point of view .. I'm sure people have seen all the
stories about network printers and electron microscopes running open
relay smtp daemons, so when do I get to see a botnet full of
compromised toasters that'll burn your toast to cinders if you try to
disinfect them?

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email protected]