Re: Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

  • From: Brandon Butterworth
  • Date: Sun Sep 11 15:00:52 2005

> >> 1. Give us a maximum number of multihomers.
>
> > 4 Million
>
> So how do you know it's 4 million and not 4.1?

Could be 4.1 or even 4.2. I'm assuming those
working on 4byte ASs know, if it's more we'll have
to migrate again which would be silly so soon

So about 4M it must be.

> We know that 125k works today

That's quite a bit less than current SUP720-3BXL

> (I'm being a bit conservative because
> in IPv6 the addresses are longer) so the storage requirements should
> sort themselves out according to Moore in 7 x 1.5 years, so that
> would work in 2013. Processing scales non-linearly, though.

If we need it then it will exist, if not then we won't be able to do
that and will do something else instead just as V4 users are doing when
they discover V6 doesn't do what they want (let's not rehash whether
what they want is reasonable or sensible)

brandon