Re: Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Sun Sep 11 12:52:57 2005

Hi,

On Sep 11, 2005, at 12:52 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
This says that although there are 170k prefixes on the Internet, there are
only 20k entities who actually need to announce IP space. There is only
one explanation for such a large difference (8.5x) between these two
numbers, namely that people who are announcing IP space need multiple
blocks in order to accomodate their needs.
This is an interesting assertion. I thought the majority of announced prefixes was due to folks punching holes in their registry allocated blocks in order to do traffic engineering of one form of another (multi-homing being a form of traffic engineering).

Can you point at the data which backs up your assertion (I'm not disputing it, just a curious)?

Thanks,
-drc