Re: OT: Yahoo- apparently now an extension of the Chinese govt secret police....

  • From: Joseph S D Yao
  • Date: Wed Sep 07 16:15:48 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:54:03AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> However, clearly, companies doing business in China under this set of
> rules are placing profits ahead of human rights.  I, for one, will avoid
> patronizing any organization I know to be engaged in such practices.
>
> Owen

There has been constant reporting of US and other IT companies going
into in China co-operating with the mainland Chinese government.  The
mainland Chinese government cares about human rights about as much as
the average person cares about the rights of a Rigellian.  For as long
as I can remember, I have tried as hard as possible not to buy anything
"Made in China" [unless I find that it's actually from Taiwan].

--
Joe Yao