Re: SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

  • From: Hyunseog Ryu
  • Date: Wed Sep 07 09:27:18 2005

BBN changed it's name to Genuity, and Level3 acquired Genuity.
4.0.0.0/8 was assigned to BBN prior to ARIN born.
So there is not much of control from ARIN.
But L3 may need to follow IP address transfer policy since the ownership of IP address was changed.
I guess reclaiming the ip address may be hot topic, and it may requires ARIN to have more staffs to back up to avoid potential chaos from network operation and lawsuits. ^.^

Hyun

Edward Lewis wrote:

NetRange:   4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255
ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.level3.net:4321

% telnet rwhois.level3.net 4321
Trying 209.244.1.179...
telnet: connect to address 209.244.1.179: Operation timed out

Doesn't seem to have made much difference yet...

Their rwhois seems to be terminally down. Can we reclaim 4/8 from them now?

Who is "we?"

IANA says it belongs to BBN (ARIN not mentioned):
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

004/8 Dec 92 Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.

(as opposed to)

073/8 Mar 05 ARIN (whois.arin.net)
074/8 Jun 05 ARIN (whois.arin.net)
075/8 Jun 05 ARIN (whois.arin.net)
076/8 Jun 05 ARIN (whois.arin.net)

Either IANA's records are out of date or the space was granted prior to ARIN's start (in 97 or so). ARIN (via policies) has little say over this space.