Re: SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Wed Sep 07 00:36:46 2005

At 07:55 PM 9/6/2005, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> [...]

 william> The above line is as clear as it gets (if the other two
 william> mentions that data is to be made available to public is not
 william> enough), so there this argument that rwhois should be made
 william> available only to ARIN is now against ARIN's policies and
 william> whoever you know who is still making it should be pointed to
 william> URL I listed.

NetRange:   4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255
ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.level3.net:4321

% telnet rwhois.level3.net 4321
Trying 209.244.1.179...
telnet: connect to address 209.244.1.179: Operation timed out

Doesn't seem to have made much difference yet...
Their rwhois seems to be terminally down. Can we reclaim 4/8 from them now?

Hopefully, ARIN will block them from acquiring more address space (should they need it), pending functional SWIP or rwhois.

As the owner of a small provider, I found SWIPs far preferable to rwhois, at least with the rwhois code I found available. I really don't have a problem with folks choosing one or the other, but if you're going to choose to use rwhois, then monitor the service and make sure it's working.