Re: SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

  • From: Johann Botha
  • Date: Tue Sep 06 17:45:29 2005

Hi Justin                                     >@2005.09.06_23:07:51_GMT+0200

> In my previous life at a mid-sized ISP, we migrated away from doing SWIPs
> to using an in-house rwhois server.  This was done to make keeping the
> records up to date in our environment less expensive (people cycles) and
> easier to automate.
>
> We tied this to our provisioning system, so the rwhois data was within 24
> hours of being up to date.

When we wanted some of our own IP space at the end of last year, we looked
at the rwhois server that ARIN recommended and soon realised that it was a
useless piece of software. SWIP was simply not an option.

> The interface between the provisioning database and the rwhois server was
> a little kludgey, but the rwhois piece just simply works.  I like 'simply'
> and 'works' ;-)

We wrote our own rwhois server that uses an LDAP back end.. with web
interface that can do IP assignment and reverse DNS with delegation to
responsible people down to a per IP level.. all from the same LDAP data..
with no delay to update.

Works very well. Only problem is we are now a part of AfriNIC which dont
seem to want to use rwhois :(

--
Regards
 Joe

 "There is nothing more powerful than an idea
  whose time has come." --  Victor Hugo
    frogfoot networks  +27.21.689.3867  www.frogfoot.com
          meet joe frog: http://blue.frogfoot.net/