Re: level3.net in Chicago - high packet loss?!?

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Tue Sep 06 10:41:48 2005

On 2005-09-06-10:25:28, Network Fortius <[email protected]> wrote:
> And how exactly would you interpret the number returned by net_loss
> (int), in a column called "LOSS", in reference to reachability of a
> "hop" between two end points [...]

I'd interpret it to mean you're hitting a control plane policer or
somesuch, with no actual bearing on end-to-end performance, judging
from the diagnostic output you've graciously provided us with.

I find myself giving this lecture several times a week to random
"gamer" customers upset that intermediary routers don't reply to their
pings at full line rate; I'd expect slightly better critical thinking
skills from the posters on this list, but I've been wrong before. :)

-a