Sprint LD routing affected by Katrina?

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Sep 02 14:45:15 2005

I've encountered several toll free numbers (like the BellSouth DSG) which can no longer be dialed from Gainesville, FL roughly coinciding with Katrina slamming the Gulf Coast. I finally called BellSouth (the local ILEC) and asked what was up, as I can't get through from Gainesville, but I can if I use our VOIP network to route the calls out through other cities in FL (or if I use my Cingular cell phone).

According to BellSouth repair, it's a Sprint call routing problem. I found it amusing and unlikely that BellSouth's DSG would use Sprint for their phone lines.

Is anyone aware of Sprint having LD voice routing issues, probably a result of Katrina damage?

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net | _________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________