Re: P2P Darknets to eclipse bandwidth management?

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Fri Sep 02 06:39:22 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> Interesting article, and something I think that will certainly becaome an
> issue for ISPs. Is this a real issue ISPs are thinking about?

Its a concern..
> Encrypted P2P networks will soon make bandwidth management based on deep
> packet inspection obsolete, says Staselog, a Finnish appliance outfit.

obsolete is one of those words folks like to use to make an impact, then later
fall on their face.. like the internet will implode and all that.

packet inspection will just evolve, thats the nature of this problem.. there are
things you can find out from encrypted flows - what the endpoints and ports are,
who the CA is. then you can look at the characteristics of the data.

> Around 80 per cent of all traffic in the Internet is already P2P. This traffic
> will increase 1,000-fold in the next five years and most of it will be
> encrypted P2P, according to a study by Staselog and researchers at Finnish
> Universities.

maybe, 5 year predictions are at best voodoo, who knows what next years killer
app will be, or the year after, or the year after....

> Overlooking the point that this kind of smells like a pitch for Staselog, I'd
> be curious to hear of this is an issue on ISP bandwidth management radar... or
> already is...

i can tell you what 95% of my traffic is currently, the other 5% i dont care

Steve