P2P Darknets to eclipse bandwidth management?

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Thu Sep 01 19:35:17 2005

Interesting article, and something I think that will certainly
becaome an issue for ISPs. Is this a real issue ISPs are thinking
about?

Via The Register:

[snip]

Encrypted P2P networks will soon make bandwidth management based on deep packet inspection obsolete, says Staselog, a Finnish appliance outfit.

Around 80 per cent of all traffic in the Internet is already P2P. This traffic will increase 1,000-fold in the next five years and most of it will be encrypted P2P, according to a study by Staselog and researchers at Finnish Universities.

[snip]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/01/darknets_fox_traffic_manage_tech/

Overlooking the point that this kind of smells like a pitch for
Staselog, I'd be curious to hear of this is an issue on ISP
bandwidth management radar... or already is...

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 [email protected] or [email protected]