Re: Replacing PSTN with VoIP wise? Was Re: Phone networks struggle in Hurricane Katrina's wake

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Aug 31 15:51:23 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:19:23 BST, Andy Davidson said:
> Perhaps you've made a fair and good comment on the marurity of most
> off-the-shelf voip products or implementations.  But the key, in my
> mind, is that VoIP across the internet, when done well, imports all of
> the opportunities of internet routing into voice service.

The crucial point being that "when done well" is something that you usually
can't evaluate until it's too late.  And there's maturity level for more than
just products and implementations.

It's clearly possible to find telco engineers with 5/10/15 years experience in
running PSTN (might even find somebody with 40-50 years? :).  It's possible to
find network engineers with lots of BGP experience. Where do you find a senior
engineer with 5+ years experience in enterprise-scale VoIP deployment?