Re: Replacing PSTN with VoIP wise? Was Re: Phone networks strugglein Hurricane Katrina's wake

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Wed Aug 31 15:20:29 2005

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
There are two types of VoIP: voice over a private, tightly controlled IP network, and voice over the public internet. Now obviously the latter is a risky proposition, as it imports all the limitations of the internet into the voice service.
I'm not so sure; someone cuts an ISDN-30 into our building and the sky falls down. Someone cuts some fibre carrying IP and life (and communications) carry on ..

Perhaps you've made a fair and good comment on the marurity of most off-the-shelf voip products or implementations. But the key, in my mind, is that VoIP across the internet, when done well, imports all of the opportunities of internet routing into voice service.

-a