Re: List Phishing of e-mails from nanog

  • From: jc dill
  • Date: Wed Aug 31 03:50:23 2005

Steve Brown wrote:
Sweet, got my first piece of phishing SPAM (to the address I use for this list) shortly after posting a couple of days ago.
That's probably because the nanog list is gatewayed to a newsgroup. Your posting address (and everyone else's posting address) has been exposed to a news-trawling spider:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nanog%40stellablue.org>

There's a reason I'm now using dated usernames for my mailing list subscriptions. Between lists that leak addresses onto the web and news servers, and other subscribers who get viruses and trojans on their computer, there's simply no way to keep an email address out of the hands of spammers anymore.

jc