Replacing PSTN with VoIP wise? Was Re: Phone networks struggle inHurricane Katrina's wake

  • From: Mark Foster
  • Date: Wed Aug 31 02:35:20 2005

Telecom New Zealand announced the other day their intention to do precisely this.

"In relatively short order we will replace the entire PSTN and be delivering all our services for customers over the IP network. That has the potential to reduce costs for customers and put a lot more control and flexibility in customers. hands, wherever they are . at home, at work or on the move.."

From http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3223&page=index
I have to say I would usually agree with you - but it looks like I may not have a choice, going forward... The whole country to be migrated by 2012.

The whole idea of not having POTS to fall back on doesn't sit well with me - As part of AREC we prepare for a situation where all other means have failed. Suddenly it seems so much more likely... ?

Mark.