Re: MPLS or Site2Site VPN

  • From: Martin Hepworth
  • Date: Tue Aug 30 09:05:15 2005

Todd Reed wrote:
I’m looking at connecting 15+ multi-state locations together to start forming a private corporate network. The sites are small with 25-30 devices. I want to avoid direct-T1’s due to cost, therefore I’m looking for alternatives. I know I can do site-to-site VPN, but I’ve also heard a lot about MPLS and from what I’ve read, it may be a good option. Over the next year, we will be adding 5-10 more sites, so expansion is important. I’m not planning to do voice, but it may be an option in 2-3 years. If anyone has any suggestions on their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd

Masergy do a nice MPLS based service - you'll be transitting over T1's..and aren't cheap but are very good.

If you have SDSL then you could look at running your own VPN (firewall to firewall or whatever) but you do loose the traffice QoS (esp in the internet fabric) you get with MPLS. A Packteer or similar would help but you still can't control what's happening over the internet which might affect VoIP or other sensitive applications. Habing said that I run a VoIP for a couple of users over a self managed VPN with leased line at one end and aDSL at the other with little problems, but that's all staying within 1 ISP's network and in the same country so YMMV.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.