Re: Order of ASes in the BGP Path

  • From: Abhishek Verma
  • Date: Tue Aug 30 05:29:38 2005

> As no one has asked yet, allow me.. what are you trying to do?

Basically I was thinking on these lines.

If i have an AS path {1 2} [3 4] { 5 } then is it possible to pull the AS in the last segment and merge it with the first segment? This would give me {1 2 5} [3 4]. This way i dont need to carry two AS_SEQ segments in my path and i can manage with just one.

However, there are some problems here:

[1] I can never generate such an AS Path, given the way BGP works currently.

[2] Merging ASes from different segments can mangle the sequence in which the ASes appear in the AS Path. I wanted to know if this was required and used by admins, and hence my original mail.

Thanks everybody for all the help,

Abhishek